!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why is the Moon so packed with craters when the planets aren't?  (Read 452 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I am baffled!   Why is the Moon totally pockmarked with wall-to-wall asteroid hits while
the planets seem virtually unscathed?
Is there something about the Moon that attracts constant asteroid hits?
Or is there some other reason that I can't think of?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Why is the Moon so packed with craters when the planets aren't?
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
I think it is all about atmosphere, and the fact that the moon doesn't have an atmosphere - so any bits of debris from comets or other space dust will hit the planet's surface at high enough force to cause craters, whereas most burn up before hitting our green and fertile land here on Earth.

Other planets are often large enough to have atmospheres of some description, so they are similarly protected.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2019, 10:36:08 AM »
I think it is all about atmosphere, and the fact that the moon doesn't have an atmosphere - so any bits of debris from comets or other space dust will hit the planet's surface at high enough force to cause craters, whereas most burn up before hitting our green and fertile land here on Earth.

Other planets are often large enough to have atmospheres of some description, so they are similarly protected.

Thank you Duff.  All about atmospheres, eh?  That's smart.  Very smart.
Which is probably why I didn't think of it.
So, if what you say is true, then all the other moons out there will be similarly pocked all over?  I shall have to look into that.  Anyone got NASA's phone number?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
Not necessarily - some moons will be large enough to sustain their own atmosphere.  Jupiter's largest moon, Ganymede, for example has a thin atmosphere (not sufficient to support human life, but an atmosphere none-the-less).