!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I was reading that Swans have a life-expectancy of 102 years! Does this remar...  (Read 94 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I was reading that Swans have a life-expectancy of 102 years!   
Does this remarkable fact mean that Swans are Britain's longest-living creature? 

Or are there some other creatures (mammals, birds, rodents, fish or creepy crawlies or whatever) in
Britain that live even longer than Swans? 

I mean live longer in the wild, not in zoos. (So, no Giant Tortoises or Quahog Clams please.)

In the UK, which 'creature' is the longest lived?
« Last Edit: 29 July, 2019, 10:56:54 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
I'm afraid that it is more likely that you're reading fake news!  The life expectancy is generally 20-30 years.  There are some birds that regularly reach 50+ years - species of parrots, in particular, and the oldest bird I can find a reference for was said to be 120 years old, but his 'heritage' is a little dubious. 

http://www.oldest.org/animals/birds/

P-Kasso 2

You know, Duff, I think you are absolutely right - and I am absolutely wrong.  I must have been reading fake news!  I do wish Donald Trump would stick to posting his garbage on Twitter and stop posting fake news items on the wider net about geriatric swans that make me look like a grade A chump! !

I remember at the time I read it that I thought that 102 year old swans seemed a bit ripe.  But the website was  pretty reliable and not one normally given to sensationalist fake articles.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the website now. 

But enough of this.  I shall henceforth stick to gazing at my local swans serenely paddling up and down the River Ouse and think that their life span is a more realistic 20 to 30 years.

I must say though that, after a bit of quick double checking, I did find out that that swans are Denmark's national bird.  And what's more, one old fogey of a Danish swan (obviously with a particularly clean lifestyle) did live to clock up the ripe old age of 40!

Nowhere near 102 years old, I do admit. I shall email El Presidente Trump forthwith. 

Anyone got the White House's email address?