!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How big does a pollen grain have to be before it sets me off in gales of sneezi  (Read 285 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

I have been a Hay Fever Sufferer since the year dot.
  So, when not rubbing my eyes to shreds, I was delighted to notice that the Met Office had started issuing Pollen Warnings.

But one other thing that puzzled me then, and still perplexes me to this day, is this...

How do the bods at the Met Office DO it?

So there you are folks, two questions under one roof...

How big does a pollen grain have to be before it sets me off in gales of sneezing?

and...

How do the bods at the Met Office DO it?  Answers on a postcard to me as usual at IA on this thread.
« Last Edit: 28 July, 2019, 02:31:18 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
How do the bods doit? Well they have a spiny, sticky rod that the pollen lands on. Very scientific!
How big does pollen need to be? Pollen is generally between 20 and 35 microns (according to Allergy Cosmos.)
However it's not the size that counts! It's the type.
Hubby is affected by grass and trees in May/June and again in late August/September by trees.
I'm affected by Rape flowers and Privet.
It's worse when it rains as the pollen comes back down with the rain.
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
When I was lucky enough to be living in Norway about 30 years ago, the company doctor, on hearing that I suffered from Hay Fever, ran a test where he drew a gi-normous Naughts and Crosses grid on my forearm - of 48 squares.

He then pricked my skin in different squares with different pollens or pollen extract and said "Come back in about a week's time".

I came back in a week's time and showed him how practically every bliddy square (from privet hedges, golden rod and rose bushes to pine trees, ash trees, beech trees and aspen trees and back again) had come up in an angry red lump.

I said "What's it all mean, Doc?"

He looked at me seriously and said solemnly "You are allergic to ze world".

I said "What's the cure?"

He said "Come to my office every day for 40 injections - then after 6 months we can cut the injections down to every 3 days for another 6 months.   Then to once a week for another 6 months."

I gasped "No can do" and promptly emigrated further to a small island off Hong Kong where I had absolutely NO symptoms of Hay Fever in over 3 years.   Miracle!

So Tecspec my cure for Hay Fever is to Live On An Island - because there are no plants out to sea and therefore no pollen out to sea to waft up my nostrils.

Works a treat!

« Last Edit: 01 October, 2019, 09:22:24 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"