!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What were the original stocks and shares on the London Stock Market when it fir  (Read 121 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
What were the original stocks and shares on the London Stock Market when it first opened?

Just wondering.
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
I thought this might be an easy one but it's far from it.
Some sites indicate that there was a Royal Exchange in 1571 but most brokers were not allowed due to their manners! So they traded in Coffee Houses.
The first regulated exchange began in 1801. (from Wiki)

According to https://bebusinessed.com/history/history-of-the-stock-market/
Shares weren't traded until 1825. London became the main market for Europe.

Can't find anything to establish what the first stocks were though.
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I thought this might be an easy one but it's far from it.
Some sites indicate that there was a Royal Exchange in 1571 but most brokers were not allowed due to their manners! So they traded in Coffee Houses.
The first regulated exchange began in 1801. (from Wiki)

According to https://bebusinessed.com/history/history-of-the-stock-market/
Shares weren't traded until 1825. London became the main market for Europe.

Can't find anything to establish what the first stocks were though.

Thank you for all the digging, Tec!  And, from reading through the excellent web-link you gave, it looks like I'll just have to sit back and be satisfied with this quote (nicked from your bebusinessed.com link) to at least partly answer my question...

"In 1602, the Dutch East India Company officially became the world’s first publicly traded company when it released shares of the company on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange. Stocks and bonds were issued to investors and each investor was entitled to a fixed percentage of East India Company’s profits."

PS  If anyone finds any more on the early days of the London Stock Exchange and specifically its first-ever traded stocks, this is the post to post it on - and I'll be very grateful if you do!
"I live in hope"