!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Has Britain ever issued a 2 note?  (Read 243 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Has Britain ever issued a 2 note?
« on: 14 June, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
I have a friend who is adamant that the Bank of England issued 2 notes sometime in the 18th Century or thereabouts.

I say, equally pig-headedly "Oh no there there wasn't".

Who wins this battle of stubbornness?
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
Re: Has Britain ever issued a 2 note?
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:38:35 AM »
Oh Yes there was!!
According to Wiki: In 1793, during the war with revolutionary France, the Bank issued the first 5 note. Four years later, 1 and 2 notes appeared, although not on a permanent basis.
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Has Britain ever issued a 2 note?
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
Oh Yes there was!!
According to Wiki: In 1793, during the war with revolutionary France, the Bank issued the first 5 note. Four years later, 1 and 2 notes appeared, although not on a permanent basis.

Cheers Tec!  So!  My friend was dead right.  And I was dead wrong!  Wouldn't be the first time.

PS  I was absolutely convinced I tell you that the Bank of E had never issued a 2 note.  Not once. Not ever.  In fact I was definitely decidedly convinced that 2 notes were just musical hall jokes. 
Just shows you how wrong P-Kasso can be.  Watch this space and I'll no doubt show you how much wronger I can be when I really try!
"I live in hope"