!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Where to find information about fathers' age at conception in the UK?  (Read 361 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
There's increasing evidence that older fathers may be the root cause of Alzheimers disease . Are there statistics kept about fathers' age at time of (physical) conception?
« Last Edit: 14 May, 2019, 01:18:37 AM by Cosmos »
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
There's increasing evidence that older fathers may be the root cause of Alzheimers disease . Are there statistics kept about fathers' age at time of (physical) conception?

Sorry Cosmos but I can't find any source of statistics showing father's age at conception being important...but I did find find this National Public Radio site in the USA.  It says that there are many other more important factors that shape a child's mind than the father's age...and it discusses them a bit.  So relax, Cosmos.  No matter how old your pappy was, you probably have nothing to worry about!  Probably.  wve

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/02/26/283081784/more-hints-that-dads-age-at-conception-helps-shape-a-childs-brain?t=1559409818425
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
I didn't ask that .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I didn't ask that .

Never mind, I enjoyed it and thought it made an interesting read.

But back to your question on Paternal Age at conception etc for a moment.   I fear you might be seeking itemized info which simply doesn't exist (yet).

Nevertheless, I sharpened my shovel and, undeterred, dug some more.  I did find one website that discusses your required themes - ie the risks involved with conception by fathers in later life.

It is the US National Library for Medicine's website... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854059/

Maybe give it a try, Cosmos?  Among other things, it says that while the median age for paternal conception in the US is 27, the most frequently used cutoff is 40 - But (and here's the crunch) "...paternal information is often missing from the birth certificate and the age of the father is not even reported in 14% of all births."

"So there currently exists a need for improved data collection, guidelines and outcome research based for Advanced Paternal Age."

Dr. Wyrobek, a senior staff scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, said that an immense amount of work still remained to be done. 

"There are more than 30,000 genes and we've only measured the effects (of advancing paternal age) on ...two of them in sperm," he said. "Many gene mutations in sperm can cause genetic diseases in children, and these still need to be measured in older men, but we don't have the tools yet."

That probably goes a long way to explaining why I couldn't find any specific websites dealing with the father's increasing age at conception and the increasing risks of Alzheimer's in the infant in later life.

Maybe there will be more info in ten years time when the measuring tools will be in place?
« Last Edit: 03 June, 2019, 08:39:19 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"