!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is there a website that tracks the average wage through history?  (Read 200 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I ask because I often watch old movies and read old novels and although I know what year a film or novel dates from I still need to know when, for example, someone demands a 1,000 ransom, how much that would have represented in terms of a week's wages at the time.

So, is there a website that tracks the average wage through history that someone can point me to?
« Last Edit: 19 April, 2019, 08:08:57 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
I suspect that there were no income records in the past, as income would not necessarily have been salaried, and payment in kind would have formed a much more significant part of the economy.

However, I've used this calculator before when trying to put a modern day value on historic stuff, which is brilliant.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency-converter

So, for example, if I had 1 in 1320, this was around the equivalent of 490.47 today.  With my pound, I could have bought:
One horse, or
Two cows, or
Seven stones of wool, or
Two quarters of wheat, or
Paid a skilled tradesman for 50 days.