!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What does the High Bailiff in Britain actually do?  (Read 154 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
What does the High Bailiff in Britain actually do?
« on: 11 November, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »
I ask this because, on the telly this evening (Remembrance Sunday) there was a broadcast of the Queen at a Remembrance Day Service at Westminster Abbey.

And guess who was there to greet the Queen at the door? Sir bleedin' Roy Strong. When I knew him back in the 70s he wasn't a Sir - he was the somewhat dusty but quirky head honcho at the V&A museum. Now he's looking perky all dollied up in medieval robes on telly shaking hands with the Queen and chatting to Prince Charles like they're old mates. Cripes! Was I gobsmacked!

And then the BBC commentator says in his hushed tones "And here's Sir Roy Strong, the High Bailiff".

High Bailiff?

Never heard of the High Bailiff. What does the High Bailiff actually do for us?

How much does he get paid? Or is it just a comfy totally 'non-job' for ageing arty farty old farts like Roy Strong?

What does the High Bailiff do to earn his dosh? Does he actually do anything important? If so, what?

PS Here below is a photo of Sir Roy Strong pictured in his nightie in his back garden before he grew his new daft Catweasel handle bar tash and pointy Hogwarts's beard.
I couldn't find any pics of him in his daffy High Bailiff's togs. In fact, I couldn't even find any pics of the High Bailiff's ceremonial robes at all, with or without Sir Roy Strong inside them. I must be doing something wrong. Help!
« Last Edit: 11 November, 2018, 06:56:51 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"