!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: A strange fact about Waterloo Bridge? Or not?  (Read 206 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
A strange fact about Waterloo Bridge? Or not?
« on: 01 October, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »
I was up in London a couple of days ago and the highlight of my trip was sitting nattering to an old geezer I met in a riverside pub. Turned out he was an old Thames boatman and he regaled me with tales of life on the Thames river 40, 50 years ago.

One of the most astounding things he said was that Waterloo Bridge originally was going to be called the Strand Bridge but for some reason the name got changed to Waterloo Bridge - But that all the boatmen always called it 'The Ladies Bridge' because it was mainly built by women welders etc during World War Two!

Built by women during World War 2?

My question is...Was he talking a load of tosh? Or is there any historic proof that Waterloo Bridge really was built by women? If he's right it'll absolutely change how I feel about that bridge every time I see it.

I really want him to be right. But is he? Did women build Waterloo Bridge?
"I live in hope"