!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Empathy? Sympathy? I've never really understood the difference. Can you help?  (Read 408 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Can anyone give me a quick short explanation of the differences between these two words and their meanings?
Oh I've looked up Sympathy and Empathy before and got long-winded dictionary answers that seem to go in one ear and out the same ear.
Can you give me a simple answer that will, for once, stick in my brain for more than five minutes. Cheers.
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
To be sympathetic means to know that someone is sad / distressed etc
To be empathetic means to understand how they feel. To put yourself in their shoes.

That's my understanding..

However there's a good graphic here:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/hide-and-seek/201505/empathy-vs-sympathy
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
So Tec, empathy is a deeper form of sympathy where you don't just feel sorry for someone, you actually 'live' their sorrow?

Does empathy apply to happiness? Where you don't just feel sorry for someone, you actually 'live' their happiness?

Or does empathy only relate to bad times?

"I live in hope"