!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: 'The Centre of the Universe' is a circle on the ground in Tulsa. Oh, really?  (Read 297 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 162
  • Helpfulness: 212
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Apparently 'the Centre of the Universe' is a simple circle of concrete in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
(Please don't laugh your head off just yet, there are plenty of even weirder things to come.)

One of the really weird things is that if you speak while you're standing in the middle of the circle, you can hear your voice loud and clear echoing back at you... but nobody outside the circle will hear a thing. Not a single peep!

The second really weird thing is that, even if you shout at the top of your voice, it will only be heard outside the concrete circle as an undecipherable string of broken sounds.

But what is really really really weird is this... Nobody even knows why this phenomenon happens!

But back to my question...Why, or how, can anyone speak inside the circle and not be heard outside it? Why does it happen? What's the secret?

PS I have not been to Tulsa myself. I just found this wacky website called Dangerous Minds - it is full of weird facts, supposedly all of them true...like the Centre of The Universe being in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

« Last Edit: 19 July, 2018, 03:09:19 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 162
  • Helpfulness: 212
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
174 reads...and not one single answer! At least, not yet. I am losing the will to live.. I feel like slashing my wrists. Come on IAers. It's not such a difficult question is it?  You can at least have a stab. Or even a little try.

The original question was....

Apparently 'the Centre of the Universe' is a simple circle of concrete in Tulsa, Oklahoma. For pix of the Centre of the World, Tulsa-style, have  look here...https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-center-of-the-universe-tulsa-oklahoma

(Please don't laugh your head off just yet, there are plenty of even weirder things to come.)

One of the really weird things (apart from it being the Centre of the Universe) is that if you speak while you're standing in the middle of the circle, you can hear your voice loud and clear echoing back at you... but nobody outside the circle will hear a thing. Not a single peep!

The second really weird thing is that, even if you shout at the top of your voice, it will only be heard outside the concrete circle as an undecipherable string of broken sounds.

But what is really really really weird is this... Nobody even knows why this phenomenon happens!

But back to my question...Why, or how, can anyone speak and even shout inside the circle and not be heard outside it? Why does it happen? What's the secret? 

Is it even the Centre of the Universe?  Or is it all just an eloquent load of old cobblers?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-center-of-the-universe-tulsa-oklahoma
« Last Edit: 28 August, 2018, 01:24:57 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"