!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What was unusual about the goal scored by Brian Saville...  (Read 718 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
in the clash of the titans Wimpole 2001 vs Earls Colne?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: What was unusual about the goal scored by Brian Saville...
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »

This is proof that not all refs is bleedin' blind innit!
  And this ref should never have been suspended by the (very appropriately named) FA.  I admit I'd never even heard of this intervention by a referee called Brian Savill - so I had to do a sneaky bit of googling. And I found this story from 2001...

Brian Savill (Earls Colne v Wimpole 2000)

"The Football Association suspended referee Brian Savill for seven weeks after he intervened to help out Wimpole 2000 when [they were already] losing 18-1 in a Great Bromley Cup game away to Earls Colnes' reserve team.

"The ball came over from a corner, the Wimpole forward headed it and it came to me,"
Savill told BBC Radio Five Live. "I chested it down, or armed it down, and the ball bounced up and I just volleyed it into the net."

He added: "I went roaring up the field, blowing the whistle and signalling a goal. There were about 20 or 30 people watching. Half were standing there in bewilderment and the other half were clapping and laughing. An Earls Colne player shook my hand and said, 'Well done!' It was done in a good humour - Wimpole were getting thrashed."

Wimpole eventually lost 20-2 and Savill, accusing the authorities of having "no sense of humour", resigned in protest at his suspension."

I can't say I blame him.

Source: http://www.espn.com/soccer/columns/story/_/id/1152583/first-xi:-bizarre-goals has plenty more hilarious (to some soccer mad bozos) soccer stories on it.
« Last Edit: 04 July, 2018, 02:35:46 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: What was unusual about the goal scored by Brian Saville...
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
Good sleuthing, as I didn't know about those interesting details :)