!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I've just been given this warning "Due to the increased high temperatures in the  (Read 356 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
"Due to the increased high temperatures in the next few days,  don't fill up your petrol tank to Full because this may lead to explosion in the fuel  tank. Instead fill it only half full in order to allow the fumes somewhere to expand into.  Five explosions have already occurred in the last few days due to filling the tank to maximum."

A friend said she'd read this on Facebook. But is this warning (as I suspect) just a load of bull? I have lived through plenty of heatwaves before and have never once heard of this being a problem. Come to that, I have lived in far hotter countries than Britain and never heard a single petrol tank explode!

So what's your view? Does it really help to leave an extra 'clear space' in the tank when filling your car in hot weather?

My friend says this was a motorway police recommendation but...I am really sceptical.  Will an over-filled tank really explode? Or is this advice just a phoney new urban myth?

« Last Edit: 28 June, 2018, 04:16:00 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline moonzero2

• One of the original IQunion
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
  • Helpfulness: 16
  • Military intelligence is an oxymoron
Complete bull.

I fill my tank completely every week in any weather with no problem.
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you.

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Yes it's absolute nonsense .

You may find you achieve better fuel economy during the hot weather but that's about the only difference .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Thanks for your answers Moon and Cos.  I thought it was all guff!  To be honest though, I don't even know why I am even worried - as I gave up driving years and years ago (when I worked how my BMW was costing me per month in depreciation, tax, insurance, petrol, repairs etc etc). Been taking taxis everywhere ever since. But it's a relief to know now I can stop always unscrewing the taxi's petrol cap to check if there's enough spare air space down there...
"I live in hope"