!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Has the 'curse' of the play Macbeth ever actually killed or maimed anybody?  (Read 747 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Well, has it?  Is there really a potent curse associated with the play Macbeth?  Or is it just an old wives' tale?  Has the 'curse' of Macbeth ever actually killed or maimed anybody?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Fantastic question, especially as I heard the director of a recent film version of The Scottish Play declare that he didn't bother avoiding saying the fateful name at an event last night!

THe Royal Shakespeare Company has a page devoted to this very topic - and whilst it would be difficult to say conclusively that there have been deaths caused by the curse, there have been some gruesome coincidences!

https://www.rsc.org.uk/macbeth/about-the-play/the-scottish-play

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Your Royal Shakespeare link, Duff was interesting reading but come on - it was all pretty inconclusive stuff, especially seeing as the RSC is supposed to be the ace experts in all things Shakespearian.

I'd hoped for a whole long list of real deaths, well-documented hundreds or thousands of real deaths but instead it was, to be polite, pretty much all airy fairy mumbo jumbo.

Just goes to show that actors have over-heated imaginations.
"I live in hope"