!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Of the search engines available today which is the oldest?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Additional related question : is Dogpile still the most popular metasearch engine?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 162
  • Helpfulness: 212
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Of the search engines available today which is the oldest?
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:13:47 AM »
I reckon AltaVista was the first (and therefore the oldest) proper search engine...I remember I was using AltaVista at work in very early 1994 and very good it was too.

It may not have been the first ever primitive search engine from back in the dim and distant old pre-www internet days - but I do think AltaVista was at least the first big, well-known and commercially successful search engine. It has long since been eclipsed by Google etc etc and I still kind of miss it.

AltaVista is now owned by Yahoo - so it's probably only half available now, except under Yahoo's name.

Either way, as a name, I still think that AltaVista sounds so much classier than Gurgle. Sorry I mean Google. Or Yahoo - which I won't use any more than if it's name was Murdoch.
« Last Edit: 15 June, 2018, 10:23:35 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:48:43 PM »
I reckon AltaVista was the first (and therefore the oldest) proper search engine...I remember I was using AltaVista at work in very early 1994 and very good it was too.

It may not have been the first ever primitive search engine from back in the dim and distant old pre-www internet days - but I do think AltaVista was at least the first big, well-known and commercially successful search engine. It has long since been eclipsed by Google etc etc and I still kind of miss it.

AltaVista is now owned by Yahoo - so it's probably only half available now, except under Yahoo's name.

Either way, as a name, I still think that AltaVista sounds so much classier than Gurgle. Sorry I mean Google. Or Yahoo - which I won't use any more than if it's name was Murdoch.

AltaVista finished in 2013.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »

So that  means your question still needs answering...Any takers?

Of the search engines available today which is the oldest?
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:03:05 AM »
Just done a bit of light digging on the Net...and it paid off.

Surprisingly, the oldest search engine still alive and kicking-ish is the 24 year old WebCrawler, started in 1994. At least, that's what the web site I found called MakeUseOf.com says (see footnote at the end).

I've never heard of WebCrawler -  always thought a web crawler was just a generic term. Today, WebCrawler apparently just aggregates results from Google and Yahoo. I presume WebCrawler is Americano.

2nd oldest still available is Lycos, born out of America's Carnegie Mellon University, also started up in 1994. (Lycos I won't use under any circumstances because they bought, mangled, neglected and destroyed a previous very fine Q & A site that older members of IA will fondly remember with a tear or three in their eye.)

3rd oldest still available is Excite.  I have never heard of that before either but that's what MakeUseOf.com says.

Hope this answers your question, Cosmos. Does it?

Here's the website I googled - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-search-engines-that-rocked-before-google-even-existed/
« Last Edit: 16 June, 2018, 08:09:33 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2018, 10:29:31 PM »

So that  means your question still needs answering...Any takers?

Of the search engines available today which is the oldest?

Plus the additional related question, please .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
Plus the additional related question, please.

Oooo...you are getting demanding Cos!  ;) But at least you did say "please" - so here, I hope, is the answer to your 'additional question' which I admit I didn't even notice first time round.  Anyway I put on my gardening boots once again and did a little more light digging round the Net ....

According to this website... https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/10-meta-search-engines-reviewed-and-compared.html ...

...Dogpile is only the 2nd most popular meta search engine. At least Dogpile is second on the table on Searchenginepeople.com. Dogpile uses a bunch of search engines, namely Google, Yahoo, Ask and Live. You'll have to scroll down a ways on Searchenginepeople.com to get to the table of rankings of meta search engines on Searchenginepeople.com. But if you do scroll down you'll find that....

in first place, that is ahead of Dogpile, comes Clusty (which uses of a bunch of search engines, namely Ask, plus Gigablast, Live, NY Times, ODP, Shopzilla, Yahoo news and Yahoo stocks).

Third place on the table goes to Ixquick which also uses a bunch of search engines to whit...All the Web, Exalead, Qkport, Ask, Gigablast, Wikipedia, Bebo, MSN, Winzy,  CNN, NBC, Yahoo, EntireWeb and OPD.

Of course, I can't guarantee that the people behind the website Searchenginepeople.com have ranked the meta search engines in order of popularity, size, age or maybe just in order of which ones are their own pet favourites so I can only guess if this even comes close to answering your "secondary question" to your own very specific and demanding needs, but I live in hope.

PS Cosmos...  if you are feeling up to doing a bit of energetic scrolling down, you can see a whole lot more in the table on  https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/10-meta-search-engines-reviewed-and-compared.html
« Last Edit: 18 June, 2018, 02:01:37 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »
Plus the additional related question, please.

Oooo...you are getting demanding Cos!  ;) But at least you did say "please" - so here, I hope, is the answer to your 'additional question' which I admit I didn't even notice first time round.  Anyway I put on my gardening boots once again and did a little more light digging round the Net ....

According to this website... https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/10-meta-search-engines-reviewed-and-compared.html ...

...Dogpile is only the 2nd most popular meta search engine. At least Dogpile is second on the table on Searchenginepeople.com. Dogpile uses a bunch of search engines, namely Google, Yahoo, Ask and Live. You'll have to scroll down a ways on Searchenginepeople.com to get to the table of rankings of meta search engines on Searchenginepeople.com. But if you do scroll down you'll find that....

in first place, that is ahead of Dogpile, comes Clusty (which uses of a bunch of search engines, namely Ask, plus Gigablast, Live, NY Times, ODP, Shopzilla, Yahoo news and Yahoo stocks).

Third place on the table goes to Ixquick which also uses a bunch of search engines to whit...All the Web, Exalead, Qkport, Ask, Gigablast, Wikipedia, Bebo, MSN, Winzy,  CNN, NBC, Yahoo, EntireWeb and OPD.

Of course, I can't guarantee that the people behind the website Searchenginepeople.com have ranked the meta search engines in order of popularity, size, age or maybe just in order of which ones are their own pet favourites so I can only guess if this even comes close to answering your "secondary question" to your own very specific and demanding needs, but I live in hope.

PS Cosmos...  if you are feeling up to doing a bit of energetic scrolling down, you can see a whole lot more in the table on  https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/10-meta-search-engines-reviewed-and-compared.html

Here in the Southern Hemisphere it's coming up to the Winter Solstice and despite having been born in a cold country I just feel like curling up in a ball and hibernating .
Thanks for answering . :)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »

Here in the Southern Hemisphere it's coming up to the Winter Solstice and despite having been born in a cold country I just feel like curling up in a ball and hibernating .
Thanks for answering . :)

But please Cos, bang us off a few more of your interesting questions to IA before you even think of climbing under the nearest pile of dry leaves for the duration! Deal?
"I live in hope"