Author Topic: Are there fungi or parasites that live on other fungi?  (Read 87 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 160
  • Helpfulness: 210
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Are there fungi or parasites that live on other fungi?
« on: 07 June, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »

Fungi seem to grow on anything. So too with parasites. So I was wondering...Are there fungi or parasites living on other fungi? I haven't seen any in England. How about in the rest of the world?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 60
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Are there fungi or parasites that live on other fungi?
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2018, 04:33:41 PM »
The term you are looking for is 'mycotrophs' - and yes, there are plenty of them!
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/mycotrophs.html

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 160
  • Helpfulness: 210
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »
The term you are looking for is 'mycotrophs' - and yes, there are plenty of them!
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/mycotrophs.html

Gd_pst

Blimey, Duff! That weblink you gave knocked me sideways! I've been clicking on links within your link for the last couple of hours and boggling.

I've been muttering 'These Mycotrophs are everywhere! Poor old mushrooms, getting invaded by all those hairy parasites, scaly parasites, jelly-like parasites etc etc' - all nasty creepy bizarre things I've never ever seen when hunting for mushrooms in forests, in meadows or on supermarket shelves.

I can understand that supermarket mushrooms probably grow under sterile, controlled, pampered, parasite-free conditions - but, how come I've never seen parasites on mushrooms out in the wild?

Maybe it's just dumb luck. But now, thanks to your link, I'll know pretty much what assorted nasties to look out for on the mushrooms I collect in nature. And for that I say thanks for your extremely good post.

The big question now is "Are these parasites on mushrooms edible? Which ones are edible? Which are mildly poisonous? And which are highly toxic? Or, are some of these parasites poisonous when raw but okay to eat when thoroughly cooked?

If I suddenly stop posting on IA this autumn, you'll know I've found out the hard way.
« Last Edit: 15 June, 2018, 09:42:48 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 60
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
My advice is don't eat any kind of mushrooms or fungi.  They are all nasty, slimy things anyway.  Stay safe!