!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Have any fossilised dinosaurs ever been found on Antarctica?  (Read 536 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Or at the North Pole, come to that.  Did dinosaurs once roam at the North and South Poles? Have their fossilised remains ever been found there?
"I live in hope"

Anon

Re: Have any fossilised dinosaurs ever been found on Antarctica?
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
Yes.  Mostly dating back 71 million years when Antartica was still linked to Australia.

I'm not allowed to post a link to it.  But if you edit out the space, there is more info at
ht tps://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/fossil-hunters-uncover-17-million-year-old-trove-antarctica-180959018/

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Have any fossilised dinosaurs ever been found on Antarctica?
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »
Thanks Anon for your answer. Call me dim but I hadn't even considered that Antarctica, 70 odd million years ago, was attached to Australia etc.

So what about the North Pole?

I presume that the North Pole too (like the Bering Strait) was somewhere else when dinosaurs roamed etc etc. And I presume that, because the North Pole is just a floating ice mass, there are no fossils to find now?  Any fossils have either long since melted into the sea or dropped off the bottom of the ice and down to the sea bed?
"I live in hope"