!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: The fastest woman on earth?  (Read 239 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
The fastest woman on earth?
« on: 06 June, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
I've just been reading about Barbara Barnato-Walker - OK I know you've probably never heard of her (and I admit I hadn't until a week or so ago).

But she was one of those many incredibly brave, intrepid but unsung women during WW2 who flew brand-new Spitfires and Lancaster bombers solo from the factories to wherever the RAF needed them, to the front line included. Brave or what?

Diana Barnato-Walker carried on flying after the War too but...

The really big stunner is this... On August 26th 1963 Barbara Barnato-Walker actually broke the sound barrier in a Lightning fighter jet (wow!) setting the airspeed world record for women of Mach 1.65 - that's 1,262 mph! Think of it. 1,262 mph! That's almost twice the speed of sound. Some going!

My question is this...Does her record still stand as the fastest woman in the world in the air? All I can find are world airspeed records for men. Typical!

Has her record 1,262 mph ever been beaten?

And, if so, who is  the fastest woman in the air now? Like I say, all I can find are world airspeed records for men.

I reckon 1,262 mph is something to beat. Have any women pilots done it since 1963?

Interesting PS...You can read much more about these brave wartime lady flyers on...

http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/07/28/beauties-and-their-bombers-meet-the-top-gun-heroines-of-ww2/

There are plenty of pics and, be warned, some of these brave war-time female fliers are really foxy ladies!
« Last Edit: 06 June, 2018, 06:17:14 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: The fastest woman on earth?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »
Many women have gone faster, albeit perhaps not all of them at the yoke of the plane. But I will throw another Barbara into the ring, with Barbara Harmer, who was the first qualified female Concorde pilot. And Concorde, as any fool knows, had a cruising speed of Mach 2.04, aka 1,354 mph.
Other notable pilots include Jacqueline Auriol, who did actually go faster than your record earlier than it was set (according to Wiki, so it must be right), flying at 1,266.79 mph over a 100km course. She was also a Concorde test pilot.
The last female Concorde pilot was Beatrice Vialle, who I presume also got to fly rather quickly.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: The fastest woman on earth?
« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
Many women have gone faster, albeit perhaps not all of them at the yoke of the plane. But I will throw another Barbara into the ring, with Barbara Harmer, who was the first qualified female Concorde pilot. And Concorde, as any fool knows, had a cruising speed of Mach 2.04, aka 1,354 mph.
Other notable pilots include Jacqueline Auriol, who did actually go faster than your record earlier than it was set (according to Wiki, so it must be right), flying at 1,266.79 mph over a 100km course. She was also a Concorde test pilot.
The last female Concorde pilot was Beatrice Vialle, who I presume also got to fly rather quickly.

Good answer mate. But at least my Barbara (Barnato-Walker) at least saw her 1963 record stand (or fly) for six long years until the first mighty Concorde lifted off in 1969.

I still think it is a great shame that lady pilots receive nix publicity compared to their hairy male counterparts. I didn't even know that there were ever any female Concorde pilots. There's something very wrong there.
« Last Edit: 07 June, 2018, 01:14:41 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"