!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How does my red leafed plant photosynthesise if it hasnít any green chlorophyll?  (Read 409 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

I have a red Japanese Maple Ė and it's not got a green leaf in sight. Not one. But itís perfectly healthy. Beautifully healthy in fact. And it's thriving.

So how does it photosynthesize without any green chlorophyll? It beats me. How does it stay so healthy? What's its secret?
"I live in hope"

Yokel

I remember my Middle School Bio teacher telling us about this. Trees like that do have green chlorophyll, but they also have so much red pigment (not sure what it's for though) that you don't see the green.
I noticed on my japanese maple that early in the year the leaves were green, and only recently did they get really dark red.

(*Looks around* Nice place you guys have here btw.)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I remember my Middle School Bio teacher telling us about this. Trees like that do have green chlorophyll, but they also have so much red pigment (not sure what it's for though) that you don't see the green.
I noticed on my Japanese maple that early in the year the leaves were green, and only recently did they get really dark red.

(*Looks around* Nice place you guys have here btw.)

Shock Horror!  So my Red Japanese Maple is really a Green Japanese Maple - but I just can't see it? This astounds me and would have befoggled my long-suffering bands of professors at art school.

They'd have thrown a synchronised thrombo at St Martin's School of Art where they and others spent 4 long and happy years teaching me all about colour.

And then up pops one single bliddy Japanese Maple. It wanders in and blows all that expensive training! Just like that! Banzai!

But, through the gathering mist I think I can see what you mean, Yokel - that is, if you mean that all that Red colouring is simply swamping the Green chlorophyll from view.

At least, my brain says I see what you mean...but the hard evidence from my eyes is still telling me that Red is Red - and Red is nothing like Green.

And, squinting quizzically with my matching pair of expensively colour-trained eyeballs, there still ain't even a thimbleful or the slightest smidgen of Green to be seen. Nix. No sign of Green.

Then again maybe it's just that my cunning Japanese Red Maple instantly turns Green the second I am safely tucked up under the duvet?  They can be diabolically wily these Japanese Red Maples you know.   ;D
« Last Edit: 05 July, 2018, 01:05:35 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"