!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Splashes in water  (Read 526 times)

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
Splashes in water
« on: 14 May, 2018, 12:25:00 PM »
It has occurred to me that whatever touches the surface of water, in streams, ponds and so on, always makes a round ring. No matter what breaks the surface, from above or below, always there are rings. I wonder why this is, from a tiny crumb and up to a full body, why is it always round ?

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Splashes in water
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »
For most small objects, this may well look the case to the eye, however in the detail the ripples aren't perfectly round

You can probably get irregular shapes by chucking irregularly shaped objects into the water - e.g. if you could get a long stick to impact along it's long axis you may well get an oval. Saying that, as the ripples expand over a large body of water, any wiggly-bits get spread out over a larger length, and so it will tend to look circular (but won't actually be circular)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Splashes in water
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »
I think it is also because most people tend to throw stones into water to watch the ripples - which, like most pebbles, will be round. Hence all these round ripples.

This still makes Siasl absolutely right...although I have absolutely no idea why Siasl prefers throwing long sticks instead of round pebbles into ponds. Could it be something to do with his early childhood?
"I live in hope"