!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Can anybody help me find an answer to this old question?  (Read 355 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I asked this ages ago - What did people use to light their pipes and cigarettes with...before matches and disposable lighters were invented?

But there's a gremlin or something in my IA page and I can't get into the Search mode to dig up my old question and the answers. Rats! (I say Rats because it makes me mad because I've completely forgotten the answer to my old question! And really want to find the answer again.)

The question was "What did people light their pipes and cigarettes with before matches and disposable lighters were invented?"

Can anyone help dig up my old question please?
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Re: Can anybody help me find an answer to this old question?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2018, 09:33:03 PM »
I asked this ages ago - What did people use to light their pipes and cigarettes with...before matches and disposable lighters were invented?

But there's a gremlin or something in my IA page and I can't get into the Search mode to dig up my old question and the answers. Rats! (I say Rats because it makes me mad because I've completely forgotten the answer to my old question! And really want to find the answer again.)

The question was "What did people light their pipes and cigarettes with before matches and disposable lighters were invented?"

Don't know what happened to your question . Maybe you asked it on LycosIQ? Anyway the answer is that they used spills .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »

Thanks for trying mate. So, they used spills eh? The question now is what did people light their spills with before matches and disposable lighters were invented?

Don't know what happened to your question . Maybe you asked it on LycosIQ? Anyway the answer is that they used spills .
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »
In some films I recall seeing tapers being used (not to be confused with tapirs, though). Also, perhaps burning embers from a fire, or a small tinderstick being held in a fire.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
In some films I recall seeing tapers being used (not to be confused with tapirs, though). Also, perhaps burning embers from a fire, or a small tinderstick being held in a fire.

This sounds right Siasl...and it also sounds like one hell of a palaver. It's a wonder anyone bothered smoking back then, especially when they could have just chewed gum.
"I live in hope"