!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I've just been told a fascinating (but highly dubious) fact about Canada...  (Read 389 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
And that dubious fact is this....

There is an island in Canada that is actually larger than the lake in which it stands.

Call me a total numptie if you like, but I just don't see how an island can be bigger in area than it's lake.   Nevertheless, the dude who told me it still blatantly claims that he is absolutely right.

Is he right?   Is there really a Canadian island that is bigger in area than the lake in which it stands?    How does that work?
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
And that dubious fact is this....

There is an island in Canada that is actually larger than the lake in which it stands.

Call me a total numptie if you like, but I just don't see how an island can be bigger in area than it's lake.   Nevertheless, the dude who told me it still blatantly claims that he is absolutely right.

Is he right?   Is there really a Canadian island that is bigger in area than the lake in which it stands?    How does that work?

Presumably it's like a moat around the island .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Presumably it's like a moat around the island .

Yes but, yes but.... Thanks for a pretty nifty theory Cos but...As a lake, it'd be measured by its shoreline and the size of the area included within the outer ring of its shoreline. That is, after all, how they measure the area of lakes.

That said, the size of the island was still bigger in area than the area of the lake! How come?

That's what I'd like to know. I'm stumped. Any more theories or explanations anyone?
"I live in hope"