!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What's the best feature of British pub culture?  (Read 531 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
What's the best feature of British pub culture?
« on: 04 May, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
Comparing with other countries or just whatever you think is the best thing about the pub .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: What's the best feature of British pub culture?
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »
For centuries  the British pub was like the Internet...it's where people go to exchange info and ideas. Imagine Facebook but with beer pumps and you get the picture.

Drinking oneself drunk as a legless wombat is the very last thing most people go to the pub for...the pub is simply the village hall but without all the stuck up snobby plonkers.
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2018, 11:54:07 PM »
For centuries  the British pub was like the Internet...it's where people go to exchange info and ideas. Imagine Facebook but with beer pumps and you get the picture.

Drinking oneself drunk as a legless wombat is the very last thing most people go to the pub for...the pub is simply the village hall but without all the stuck up snobby plonkers.

How does it compare to the pub / tavern culture of other countries you have both lived and worked in?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2018, 03:41:35 PM »

How does it compare to the pub / tavern culture of other countries you have both lived and worked in?

The British pub has one great advantage over foreign pubs - everyone speaks English!

Another advantage of British pubs is that, unlike many foreign pubs and bars, they are not swarming with hordes of yelling kids.

I really can't understand why even English kids think they should be allowed in British pubs. After all, do I invade their kindergartens? No I do not. So what gives them the right to think they can crowd out my pub? Answer me that you six year old snivelling little noisy horrors!

Another good thing about British pubs is that they are, increasingly (and about time too), not just serving up snacks but dishing up full meals! Good hearty full meals too. And, as British food continues to overtake foreign food in its stylishness and tastiness, surely that can only be a very big plus.

Finally, one last, big advantage of English pubs is that they are full of people who support English football teams - which means I can argue with them and, for once, actually know what I am arguing about!
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2018, 05:27:03 PM »
The old pub has long gone unless you live in the sticks. Most now are more into food and drink. 
Best pubs are in Oz as most serve steak and chips which comes with gravy...  Joy__
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2018, 08:22:34 PM »

Another big plus for English pubs is that they are actually over here. Saves a fortune on airfares.
"I live in hope"