!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Which are the legends etc about brother killing brother?  (Read 398 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Which are the legends etc about brother killing brother?
« on: 27 April, 2018, 01:59:03 AM »
Is the story about a brother slaying a brother common to all societies?
A couple I know the names of are
1. Cain and Abel
2. Hoğr and Baldr

What are others?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Which are the legends etc about brother killing brother?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
Is the story about a brother slaying a brother common to all societies?
A couple I know the names of are
1. Cain and Abel
2. Hoğr and Baldr

What are others?

I like the way you post this gory question under Entertainment, Sport and Leisure, Cosmos!

But anyway, here goes... some geek obviously into fratricides has posted a list of 'brother killing brother' on Wiki (whatever next!)
which in part says that brother killers include such various bods as Genghis Khan and Romulus (of murdered twin Remus fame)...Here's part of the Wiki site

"Legend and mythology

Medea killed her brother Apsyrtus in order to help Jason escape Colchis after obtaining the Golden Fleece. (Greek myth)

In Völuspá, the forecast of the world in Nordic mythology, one of the signs of the end of the world is an increase in fratricides.

Höğr is manipulated into killing his brother Baldur in Nordic mythology.

Romulus killed Remus, his twin brother and co-founder of Rome.

Osiris (one of the principal deities of Egyptian mythology) was murdered by his evil brother Set. His wife (and sister, naughty naughty) Isis resurrected Osiris and he became the god of the dead and the underworld.

Eteocles and Polynices kill each other in ensuing battle over the throne of Thebes, Greece in Sophocles' Antigone (Sophocles).

According to Arthurian Legend, when two knights both change into different armor, Sir Balin and Sir Balan kill each other in a duel, with Balin shortly outliving his brother and realizing what had happened.

The Biblical story of Cain and Abel.

Another Bible brother slaying was the Biblical story (of Chapter 2 Samuel verse 13) where Absalom kills his brother Amnon after their father,King David, fails to punish Amnon for raping Tamar, their sister.

In the epic Mahabharata, the Pandavas killed their brother Karnabut but, at the time of his killing, they did not know that Karnabut was their brother.

And Genghis Khan killed his older brother following a dispute."

Here's a little more on why Genghis Khan offed his elder brother.... Genghis Khan's dispute worth killing his brother over concerned a (Wait for it! Wait for it!) a dead marmot!

According to a contributor to Quorum, apparently what happened was that Genghis Khan and his family were starving after being exiled from their clan.

Genghis Khan's oldest brother, Bekhter, and Genghis Khan were hunting. Genghis Khan caught a marmot and hid it under some leaves to retrieve later to eat it.

Sneaky brother Bekhter was spotted by Genghis Khan near where he had hidden the marmot, and he followed him.

Bekhter took the marmot and ate it himself, leaving the family to starve. Genghis Khan saw him do this and was definitely decidedly not happy. So he shot Bekhter with his arrow. Genghis Khan later confessed to his family what he had done, and his mother (Hoelun) cast Genghis Khan out of their group.

Genghis Khan justified his actions using the excuse of Bekhter’s greed, but Hoelun would have none of it. Genghis Khan promptly legged it to survive in the wild for a little while before he met some travellers who took him in and would later become generals in his army.

So yes, Genghis Khan did kill his own brother, but according to him, it was over a dead marmot and that was good reason enough.

There's much more on....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fratricideshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fratricides

PS I am sure I am not alone but when I was younger I often felt like strangling my older brother...about twice a week.

« Last Edit: 23 June, 2018, 10:43:42 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"