!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What is the difference between a 15 and a 60 pair of jeans.  (Read 557 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Other than the label, what is the difference between a pair of jeans I can buy at a supermarket for 15 and one from a big brand for significantly more? 

In my experience, both kinds wear out at the same rate because they are made of the same fabric - so is there any reason to pay more when you can get similar fit from a cheaper pair?

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: What is the difference between a 15 and a 60 pair of jeans.
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2018, 08:41:37 PM »
Primarily it will be the logo. Second place possibly guess to the design of the jeans - i.e. the cut. I've noticed that cheap jeans are just not as comfy as my "brand favourite". But maybe that's just my shape

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: What is the difference between a 15 and a 60 pair of jeans.
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
Siasl is right and, as well as the designer and the designer's company getting a big 'commission' or hefty royalty cut, there is the small matter of the seams of the jeans you buy.

In a good factory, the cutter (ie the person responsible for cutting out the basic shapes of the jeans) will be given so many bolts of denim cloth and expected to get X number of jeans from it.

Rather than getting  X number of jeans out of a given length of cloth, a really crafty cutter can scrimp and save by getting Z number of jeans out of a given length of denim.

The difference goes straight out the back door of the factory and the cash goes straight into his pocket.

He usually does this by scrimping on the material allowed for the seams. With barely enough material to hold the stitches, it means he can get more jeans from an allotted length of material and this is his 'bunce' or personal bonus.

Instead of a half inch flap allowed for seams he'll get away with a quarter inch. Over thousands of metres of denim those quarter inches saved mount up to probably a hundred or so extra pairs of jeans.

The trouble is that those scrimped seams pull apart easily whereas decent seams do not.

And that makes another difference between a cheapo pair of jeans - the seams always split more easily when you bend down.

« Last Edit: 05 July, 2018, 04:26:25 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"