!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Are there any paintings the Pyramids before they were stripped of the marble ...  (Read 316 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
... outer layer?

Are there any paintings (or artists' impressions) showing what the Pyramids of Egypt looked like before they were stripped of their marble outer layer?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I dug and I dug... but I couldn't find any genuinely old engravings or paintings of the Pyramids with their glorious limestone cladding on when they were first constructed around 2500 BC. Please note, that's not marble cladding which I've always thought too, but limestone cladding. (These limestone blocks, by the way, are technically called 'casing stones').

I also found out this about where the cladding stones actually went (which I, for one, never knew before either)...

"The original casing stones were made of highly polished Tura limestone, meant to reflect the sunís rays, and were accurate within 1/100th of an inch. 

In total, they were around five feet long, five feet high, and six feet deep and weighed around 15 metric tons each once the face angle was cut, being around 40 metric tons before that cutting for the full block.

So what happened to these casing stones? 

Many of them were cut loose and carried off to be used on various other structures, such as when Bahri Sultan An-Nasir Nasir-ad-Din al-Hasan used the polished stones from the Great Pyramid in building mosques in Cairo, some of which are still standing with these stones still intact.

Most of the rest of the stones were worn away, being loosened by earthquakes and eventually creating piles of rubble around the pyramids, which have relatively recently been cleared away.  Although, a few of the stones are still there, such as around the base of the Great Pyramid."

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/04/the-pyramids-of-giza-were-originally-white/

There's quite a lot more about the Pyramids on this site.

I just looked up the mega-vandal Bahri Sultan An-Nasir Nasir-ad-Din al-Hasan and he was ripping the limestone cladding off the Pyramids sometime in the 14th century because his dates are 1334 or 1335 to the 17th of March 1361 - which means he carried out his limestone-grabbing escapades about at least three  or four centuries before hordes of arty-farty Western tourists came along to paint any pictures of the once well-dressed limestone-covered Pyramids.

However Cosmos, all is not entirely lost! I did find one artist's fine impression of how the properly dressed Pyramids would have looked when newly built....which sadly I can't embed here but you will find it at the link below....it's a very impressive view. Have a butchers at it here...

https://blackaware.com/2015/07/stereotypical-vision-of-the-egyptian-pyramids/

I hope this goes at least some way to answering your admirably interesting question Cosmos.

« Last Edit: 02 May, 2018, 01:51:55 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"