!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Can the word 'tenets' be replaced by 'tenants', as in the following sentence...  (Read 561 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I was merrily digging through the etymology section of a website earlier today about the origins of the song 'The 12 days of Christmas' when I found what I am convinced is a very dodgy sentence....

"...many believe that 'The 12 Days of Christmas' is a Catholic catechism - as in it was written to help teach Christian values and a better understanding of religious tenants"

'Tenants'?  Aren't 'religious tenants' like Bible-bashing lodgers? Whereas 'religious tenets' are 'beliefs held to be true'?

OK, so it was an American website, and Americans are sometimes extremely creative with the English language, and maybe I am lagging a tad behind the times but...

Is ''tenants' just a slip of the pen (i.e. completely wrong)? Or do you think that 'tenants' can now be used in America where most people would use the word 'tenets'?

If you'd like to see the (somewhat hilariously contrived) interpretations of the original meaning of the 12 gifts at Christmas, read on here...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/12/making-sense-holiday-song-12-days-christmas/
« Last Edit: 16 February, 2018, 02:14:41 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"