!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: In how many Olympic games has every nation ...  (Read 681 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
In how many Olympic games has every nation ...
« on: 14 February, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
...sent at least one female competitor?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: In how many Olympic games has every nation ...
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »
...sent at least one female competitor?

Wheee. I can actually answer this!  But only because, four years ago, I vaguely remember my copy of the Independent newspaper carrying exactly this story at the time of the last Summer Olympics in London back in 2012.

Googling swiftly back in time I discovered the actual article in The Independent...and that they'd even nicknamed the 2012 Summer Olympics as "The Women's Games" because (to quote the Indie's reporter)...

"Never before will every competing nation have been represented by at least one female athlete."

So there is your answer, Siasl.

The 2012 London Olympics were the first time every country had stumped up with at least on female competitor, of course that's according to the Indie which I believe is still a wee bit more reliable than the sports pages of Daily Mail, or even The Sun

What's more, The Indie said that an astounding 4,847 women took place in the London Games. I don't know off the top of my head what the numbers are for women competitors at these new Winter Olympics.  I reckon it'd be a much smaller total but only because, overall, the Winter Olympics tend to be much smaller than the Summer Olympics.

If you fancy reading the 2012 Indie article, it is a very good quick read - and you'll find it here...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/london-2012-olympics-the-womens-games-7976835.html

"I live in hope"