!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: If you buy a Sky Q box second hand, are you handling stolen goods?  (Read 981 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Just seen a thread on Facebook that states that Sky Q boxes are always rented, not purchased, so even if you have had it for long enough that your contract has expired, you can't subsequently sell it on.  If that is the case, of what crimes would the vendor and purchaser be guilty?  Presumably, the vendor doesn't have a legitimate title (it doesn't belong to them) so the purchaser cannot become its legitimate owner.

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
Re: If you buy a Sky Q box second hand, are you handling stolen goods?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »
sky has this on their community page.
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/How-to/Can-I-buy-Sky-Q-boxes-from-auction-sites-such-as-eBay/ba-p/2772286

Well if it belongs to them then they are responsible for any repairs/breakdowns...

Old sky equipment can be sent back free of charge.
When we upgraded to HD, Sky replaced our box. I asked why he was taking the old one and he said it belongs to Sky and they recycle them for parts.
I argued that they wanted to charge a neighbour for a repair, if it belongs to Sky then why do take ownership when swapping out??

He gave me the option of keeping it. I made a lovely noise when we smashed it up!!
;-)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »
They're basically a loaner-box because Sky need to keep their revenue stream. The actual functionality of the box is rather simple, and there are a lot of other systems that can do similar things without needing a Sky subscription (e.g. Roku, Kodi, MythTV...) - all it does is preserve Sky's DRM

I don't like Mr Murdoch :)

Offline moonzero2

• One of the original IQunion
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
  • Helpfulness: 16
  • Military intelligence is an oxymoron
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
sky has this on their community page.
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/How-to/Can-I-buy-Sky-Q-boxes-from-auction-sites-such-as-eBay/ba-p/2772286

Well if it belongs to them then they are responsible for any repairs/breakdowns...

Old sky equipment can be sent back free of charge.
When we upgraded to HD, Sky replaced our box. I asked why he was taking the old one and he said it belongs to Sky and they recycle them for parts.
I argued that they wanted to charge a neighbour for a repair, if it belongs to Sky then why do take ownership when swapping out??

He gave me the option of keeping it. I made a lovely noise when we smashed it up!!

If this is the case they should take responsibility for repairs, not charge the customer.
Perhaps a class action from sky customers would clear the matter up.

If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you.