!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: A question about making chicken stock (or any kind of stock)...  (Read 500 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
When you are making stock, I've heard that boiling the stock with the white of an egg in it will clarify the stock.*

I reckon there's nothing worse than cloudy stock - so I was all ears when I was told this yesterday. What's more, adding a crushed up egg shell as well makes the stock even clearer!

Before I try it, I like to know does it really work? And why does it work?  I'm no chemist so I can't see why it should make such a big difference. Anybody have any ideas?

* Apparently, you add an egg white and/or crushed egg shell only after the stock is ready. Then boil it for another two minutes or so - and then strain the stock. It gives you beautifully clear stock.

« Last Edit: 05 February, 2018, 03:36:03 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
Re: A question about making chicken stock (or any kind of stock)...
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »
For years I have used egg shell to clarify stock and soup, but sorry I have no idea how or why it works. I am no scientist and only barely a cook.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: A question about making chicken stock (or any kind of stock)...
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »
For years I have used egg shell to clarify stock and soup, but sorry I have no idea how or why it works. I am no scientist and only barely a cook.

So it really does work! I know that the whites of eggs are also sometimes used to clarify beer in the brewing process where the egg whites apparently bind themselves round any impurities in the beer and sink down (or rise up, I'm a bit cloudy on this point) where they can then be cleaned out easily leaving a crystal clear pint of beer behind.

I presume the same process occurs when making chicken stock or whatever. But, like you Jacques, I am totally baffled as to why or how egg shells do the same trick.

Can anybody else add any more ideas (half baked or otherwise) as to why adding egg whites and/or crumbled up egg shells helps make chicken stock etc clear?
"I live in hope"