!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Can anybody give me a good recipe for Humble Pie?  (Read 547 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Can anybody give me a good recipe for Humble Pie?
« on: 28 January, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »
I'm almost ashamed to ask but... Like most people, I've used the phrase "having to eat Humble Pie" countless times and I've only just realised that I don't know what a Humble Pie looks like, or what one tastes like, or even what ingredients go into a really good Humble Pie. It's time to find out!

Can anyone give me a good recipe for a traditional Humble Pie please? A pic or two would be nice too.
« Last Edit: 28 January, 2018, 08:34:27 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
Re: Can anybody give me a good recipe for Humble Pie?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
It's actually  'umble pie' and it's quite interesting how it came about.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/eat-humble-pie.html

As for a recipe well I suppose you just make pastry, chuck in some offal (bleugh) and cook it.
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Can anybody give me a good recipe for Humble Pie?
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
It's actually  'umble pie' and it's quite interesting how it came about.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/eat-humble-pie.html

As for a recipe well I suppose you just make pastry, chuck in some offal (bleugh) and cook it.

Thank you for that, Tec. Really interesting link.  I knew about 'umbles being assorted offal but I hadn't realised that eating 'umble pie was the same as 'eating crow' in the States.  Personally 'offal', as in livers and kidneys, go down a treat with me - but hearts I cannot stand, and I haven't tried 'entrails' yet (and don't plan to any time soon).

I am still looking for a real recipe for Humble Pie and I will dig on - maybe Mrs Beeton has a recipe? The nearest I have got so far is Jamie Oliver's poncey recipe for Aussie Humble Pie in which he uses Beef (!) instead of following your excellent suggestion of just making some pastry, chucking in some offal (bleugh) and cooking it.  I think Mr Oliver has forgotten (or totally abandoned) his roots entirely except for his irritating mockney accent innit.

I did find part of a real Aussie Humble Pie recipe from a restaurant in Melbourne's website....They recommend avoiding kidneys because of their stinkiness and instead using Chicken livers, Black pudding (because it's a ready-made source of offaly lurgy bits and pieces) and Brains. Haven't seen any vacuum packed Brains in my local Aldi though.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/2016/08/25/11/10/what-is-humble-pie

« Last Edit: 27 February, 2018, 02:11:53 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"