!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is there any way to permanently stop a program installing on Windows 7?  (Read 421 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Every time I update Ccleaner Avast antivirus installs too . I know there's a check box to untick but for some reason I keep missing it . Hence my question about preventing a program from (re)installing .

(Windows 7 Pro) .
« Last Edit: 24 January, 2018, 04:11:00 AM by Cosmos »
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
You may be able to do something with Group Policies to prevent this, but I suspect it would be fiddly. Another option would be to try out Unchecky which claims to untick such boxes for you. I've not tried it, so am not making a recommendation, though. This tool basically runs a service in the background that listens for installers, and then automatically unckecks the "install Avast as well"-type tick boxes.

Anon

An old trick, but if you know the name of the directory that it installs to, then you can create a file of that name in its place.

Then when the installer tries to create the directory it fails, halting the installation.

Of course, a suitably aware installer might use an alternate location, or use a randomly generated directory name to circumvent this simple method.