!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What is a useful idiot?  (Read 489 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
What is a useful idiot?
« on: 23 January, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »

I overheard someone yesterday describing someone else as “a useful idiot”.  Unfortunately I didn’t catch the rest of the conversation and it’s been really nagging at me.

What could they have been talking about?

Is there such a thing as “a useful idiot”. What can “useful idiots” be good for?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: What is a useful idiot?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
Hmm - someone put into a role to not achieve anything that gets in the way of someone else's plans?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2018, 07:49:28 PM »
Hmm - someone put into a role to not achieve anything that gets in the way of someone else's plans?

Gd_pst   Hadn't thought of that. It's a really Machiavellian idea but I like it.
"I live in hope"

DavidCh

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »
When you have a problem you can't think through yourself, you grab someone who doesn't know the issue, and explain the problem to them step by step. The act of explaining often helps find the solution. The person you explain it to, who is entirely passive in the procedure, is the useful idiot (also called a willing mug).