!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is wearing Dutch clogs dangerous to your feet?  (Read 603 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Is wearing Dutch clogs dangerous to your feet?
« on: 23 January, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »

I used to wear Norwegian clogs - but I have never tried Dutch clogs.  They don't look very healthy or even comfortable. In fact Dutch clogs look downright crippling.

Are they? Are Dutch clogs good or bad for your feet?

Pretty - or pretty bad for your feet?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Is wearing Dutch clogs dangerous to your feet?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »
Bad.  There was a study by academics in Canada about the effect they had on the feet of Dutch farmers, and it showed that wearers suffered injuries to the feed, including bone lesions - which are very rare in modern populations.

A brief summary of the research can be found here:
http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/news/2017/walk_a_mile_in_my_klompen.html

Offline moonzero2

• One of the original IQunion
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
  • Helpfulness: 16
  • Military intelligence is an oxymoron
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
As far as the picture goes probably both, as they are sold as decorative souvenirs.

Clogs were commonly worn in the Lancashire and possibly Yorkshire area during the 1930s.

The practice was referenced in the Brian and Michael 70s hit " matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DCQiiUEb0
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »
Dutch clogs do strike me as totally uncomfortable-looking (at the very least)...and, if archaeologists can find ancient bone lesions in Dutch farmers' feet from way back in the 1800s, then there's even more reason why there's no way I'd wear Dutch clogs.

Scandinavian clogs are very different - I used to wear them all the time in Norway. They are different because only the soles are carved from wood. The uppers are all leather.

Result?  Norwegian clogs are stylish and are great for wearing especially where you don't have to walk too far (ie shop work, office work, bar work etc) where clogs make standing for hours really comfortable.
"I live in hope"