!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is there a better online translator than Google's?  (Read 450 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Is there a better online translator than Google's?
« on: 17 January, 2018, 10:01:31 PM »
I've lost the links to the websites that I used to use for translation but am wondering is there anything better than translate.google.com ?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Is there a better online translator than Google's?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
The Colllins Dictionary translator is a pretty good one. I normally use it for Norwegian translations when I'm feeling lazy as I think it is a tad more accurate than Google.

One downside of the Colllins Dictionary translator is that it seems not to be set up to translate large amounts of text at a time - it is more comfortable handling one paragraph at a time whereas you can chuck a bucket load of text at Google and it'll have a crack at translating it in one hit.

So I tend to have both sites open at the same time i.e. I use Google for the big breakdowns and (where I find Google's translation a bit clunky) I then run the offending para (or paras) through Collins for a second  opinion.

Colllins Dictionary translator focuses on the top 30 or so of the most major world languages but who needs Google's other 60 odder and more more arcane languages such as Frisian, Kyrgyz and Xhosa?

Primarily I like the simplicity of the look and feel of the site compared to Google Translate. But maybe that's because I just have a downer on all things Google?

Try it for yourself here at...https://www.collinsdictionary.com/translator

For translating individual words where Collins or Google are stumbling, you could try using Linguee.com - a downloadable app which seems far better (especially at translating technical, legal, engineering, artistic etc words) than either Collins or Google - but, annoyingly, Linguee won't let you enter large amounts of texts in one go - or even copy and paste a single word into its translation box. You've got to laboriously type each word for translation yourself. No short cuts if you want a good translation.

« Last Edit: 23 January, 2018, 03:45:14 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Re: Is there a better online translator than Google's?
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
The Colllins Dictionary translator is a pretty good one. I normally use it for Norwegian translations when I'm feeling lazy as I think it is a tad more accurate than Google.

One downside of the Colllins Dictionary translator is that it seems not to be set up to translate large amounts of text at a time - it is more comfortable handling one paragraph at a time whereas you can chuck a bucket load of text at Google and it'll have a crack at translating it in one hit.

So I tend to have both sites open at the same time i.e. I use Google for the big breakdowns and (where I find Google's translation a bit clunky) I then run the offending para (or paras) through Collins for a second  opinion.

Colllins Dictionary translator focuses on the top 30 or so of the most major world languages but who needs Google's other 60 odder and more more arcane languages such as Frisian, Kyrgyz and Xhosa?

Primarily I like the simplicity of the look and feel of the site compared to Google Translate. But maybe that's because I just have a downer on all things Google?

Try it for yourself here at...https://www.collinsdictionary.com/translator

For translating individual words where Collins or Google are stumbling, you could try using Linguee.com - a downloadable app which seems far better (especially at translating technical, legal, engineering, artistic etc words) than either Collins or Google - but, annoyingly, Linguee won't let you enter large amounts of texts in one go - or even copy and paste a single word into its translation box. You've got to laboriously type each word for translation yourself. No short cuts if you want a good translation.

Thanks for your help, P-K . I'll look into those shortly . I remembered another one https://www.online-translator.com/?prmtlang=en . It has an interface in a few different languages .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .