!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why is Chrome slowing down my Windows desktop computer?  (Read 582 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Why is Chrome slowing down my Windows desktop computer?
« on: 04 January, 2018, 05:29:44 AM »
I've looked at lots of different articles about speeding up Chrome and used many of their suggestions to little or no avail .

If I clear the Chrome cache immediately before closing down the computer will it help the next day?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Why is Chrome slowing down my Windows desktop computer?
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2018, 11:48:44 AM »
The usual suggestions are:
a) disable irrelevant add-ons - some may slow down either/both of start up and regular browsing
b) flush the cache (not sure this achieves much unless your disc is super-full)
c) flush the cookies

Other thoughts: how many tabs do you have open at once and are they all reloaded when you open the browser? When you "close down" are you actually power-cycling the machine or are you using hibernate/sleep (which are effectively "pause" buttons on the OS, rather than closing it down)?

Here's a MS post outlining the differences in sleep/hibernate/poewr off and how to configure them:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2018, 07:41:11 PM »
The usual suggestions are:
a) disable irrelevant add-ons - some may slow down either/both of start up and regular browsing
b) flush the cache (not sure this achieves much unless your disc is super-full)
c) flush the cookies

Other thoughts: how many tabs do you have open at once and are they all reloaded when you open the browser? When you "close down" are you actually power-cycling the machine or are you using hibernate/sleep (which are effectively "pause" buttons on the OS, rather than closing it down)?

Here's a MS post outlining the differences in sleep/hibernate/poewr off and how to configure them:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc

a) I don't have many add-ons and I think one of them (ABP) would speed up the computer . The next (out of a total of five) only affects Google search .
c) I don't like to flush the cookies because it affects the browsing experience .

I open with twelve tabs which work well when fresh but slow down with time . Closing down involves a full shut down as I don't like sleep / hibernate because of the power use .

Another thought : my main browser is Opera which is based on Chrome ; could there be some sort of overlap of usage that's making the combination slower?

I'll try flushing the cache(s) with Ccleaner before shut down .
« Last Edit: 04 January, 2018, 07:49:17 PM by Cosmos »

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
I had similar problems with Firefox so started to use Chrome

The only issue I had with Chrome running slow was due to my BT anti-virus. When I checked Task Manager there were HUNDREDS of entries under the processes tab. The longer my laptop ran the more there were.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the anti-virus but it made it worse. Had to use a bit of software to remove every trace of it and installed a different anti-virus (Avira) which solved the issue.

I know you won't have BT 'down-under' but it may help to make sure your AV is running ok.
;-)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »
I had similar problems with Firefox so started to use Chrome

The only issue I had with Chrome running slow was due to my BT anti-virus. When I checked Task Manager there were HUNDREDS of entries under the processes tab. The longer my laptop ran the more there were.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the anti-virus but it made it worse. Had to use a bit of software to remove every trace of it and installed a different anti-virus (Avira) which solved the issue.

I know you won't have BT 'down-under' but it may help to make sure your AV is running ok.

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus and Ccleaner monitors activity .

I've tried emptying the browser caches immediately before close down but that makes startup longer and there's no improvement in other performance .

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Perhaps open up Task Manager and see if something is running that's taking up all the CPU/Disc access/Memory?

I've not encountered problems with MSE and CC, but sometimes services get installed by default that like to steal resource - I installed Avast on a new i7 laptop recently and the defaults left one of the cores permanently at 100% - had to rummage around and disable a few irrelevant things to get it to behave.

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2018, 04:04:35 AM »
I've gone in a different direction with this now but feel if matters don't improve soon I will relegate Chrome to minor use .

I've tried clearing the cache on Chrome on my mobile phone and while it has improved performance there it hasn't improved Google's overall performance especially on the desktop computer .

I've looked at Task Manager but there's so much going on I don't know where to start .