!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why are we Humans the only mammals whose hair keeps on growing?  (Read 340 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 161
  • Helpfulness: 211
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

I just don't understand it.  Even my barber didn't know either when I asked him earlier today.  I mean, you don't see lions wandering around with their manes dragging on the ground, do you?

Why are we Humans the only mammals whose hair keeps on growing?

"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Why are we Humans the only mammals whose hair keeps on growing?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »
We are not - but the maximum length of hair varies from species to species, and indeed, in various parts of the body.  So, for example, your underarm hair should never get to a length where it needs plaiting.  This is called 'terminal length'.

http://www.howtomakeyourhairgrowfastertips.com/terminal-length-how-long-can-the-average-persons-hair-grow/

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 161
  • Helpfulness: 211
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Why are we Humans the only mammals whose hair keeps on growing?
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:53:01 PM »
We are not - but the maximum length of hair varies from species to species, and indeed, in various parts of the body.  So, for example, your underarm hair should never get to a length where it needs plaiting.  This is called 'terminal length'.

http://www.howtomakeyourhairgrowfastertips.com/terminal-length-how-long-can-the-average-persons-hair-grow/

Gd_pst  But first, I have to say sorry for not answering your question sooner Duff. My feeble excuse is that I skidded over about a week ago but luckily the very sharp and sturdy arm of a hefty wooden bench broke my fall, and a few ribs. But I am OK-ish now, so long as nobody makes me laugh, or I have to cough, sneeze or get up and go to the loo.

But back to your good answer... So, it is all down to genetics, telogenic phases and terminal length, eh?

And I'd always blithely thought that any of us Humans could grow our hair as long as we liked - down to our waists, way past our bums and trailing along the floor and out the room like the long-haired damsel whose picture sadly I can't seem to add to the attachment below - So if you want to see a dozen or so Victorian ladies with five, six or seven or eight feet long hair, just click on this...

https://www.littlethings.com/long-victorian-hair/

It must have taken those Victorian belles hours and hours of brushing every night - and do it all again in the morning!
« Last Edit: 05 July, 2018, 03:50:52 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"