!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why do people with barometers hang them in their living room instead of outside?  (Read 499 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Wouldn’t having the barometer outside give you a much more accurate reading?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
No, there's no difference in air pressure between the two locations unless you own a hermetically sealed house. That's all the barometer is measuring.
You can test this with your phone if you get an app that reports its sensor values - most new phones include a barometric reading.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
No, there's no difference in air pressure between the two locations unless you own a hermetically sealed house. That's all the barometer is measuring.
You can test this with your phone if you get an app that reports its sensor values - most new phones include a barometric reading.

Oh, so that's what a barometer does!. It's strange but I have never bothered to figure out how barometers worked, even though I have seen barometers hanging on walls since I was a kid.
Instead I just looked out of the window or listened to the weather forecast on TV. Much more interesting than a barometer hanging on the wall.
I just saw that big dial on the front of barometers saying Stormy, Rain, Fair, and Dry - and I just left it at that. No need to investigate further.
I never even bothered to ask why my various uncles always seemed to be constantly tapping their barometers. I still don't know why they did that. Some kind of neurotic tic I suppose.
So, it's actually air pressure barometer measure! Very interesting-ish. For some reason I have always associated people with barometers as being a bit weird and compulsive, just like most of my uncles.
Fortunately for the world, the interest in barometers seems to be waning dramatically. I saw several at an auction last week and they only fetched 30 quid each...and they were obviously of very fine craftsmanship. Must have been really expensive when bought new.
I guess I'm not the only one who prefers to get their weather from the TV too.
"I live in hope"