!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is there any proof that feng shui actually works?  (Read 794 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Is there any proof that feng shui actually works?
« on: 19 December, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »

I have a friend who swears that simply changing the feng shui in his bedroom (such as having his bed accessible from both sides and having a bedside table on each side and always closing cupboard doors) has made a really fantastic improvement to his sex life.  Lucky him.

I am not 100% sceptical because when living in Hong Kong for 3 years I did see examples where changing fung shui seemed to bring a change  in quality of life.  Equally, I know that there is lot of mumbo jumbo spoken about feng shui. 

The question is...Is there any independent and reliable proof that feng shui actually works?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Is there any proof that feng shui actually works?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »
Put simply, no.  It is just the placebo effect - good things happening will be attributed to feng shui, but there is absolutely no way of knowing that having a piece of furniture in a different place has caused a physical change in the world - other than possibly avoiding stubbed toes.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Is there any proof that feng shui actually works?
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2018, 05:45:35 PM »
Put simply, no.  It is just the placebo effect - good things happening will be attributed to feng shui, but there is absolutely no way of knowing that having a piece of furniture in a different place has caused a physical change in the world - other than possibly avoiding stubbed toes.

Well, I hesitate to disagree but my experience of feng shui is a bit different. When I went to take charge of a Young & Rubicam advertising agency in Hong Kong years ago, the outgoing English Managing Director told me that when they moved in to their current brand new glossy offices 3 years earlier they started losing business hand over fist. Haemorrhaging. Couldn't understand why.

Then the Chinese Financial Director suggested they call in a feng shui shaman friend of his and, after a lot of expensive thought and consideration, the feng shui man said "Rebuild the front door and angle it to the left so it faces the sea (ie Hong Kong Harbour) and the mountains beyond Kowloon and put two carved stone lions either side of the door".

Which they did...and business started booming. Coincidence? Probably. But it makes you think.

"I live in hope"