!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Best heater for a small office  (Read 542 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Best heater for a small office
« on: 11 December, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
As it has turned rather cold and my office has got no in-built heating, I wonder which is the best heating for a single room.  At the moment I use an oil heater - it is a bit slow at warming the room up, but once it is warm, it stays warm for much of the day.

Would we be better with a halogen heater or fan heater?  I've found the latter heats the air well, but leaves lots of really cold pockets of air (under desks, for example), and have always found halogen heaters a bit hopeless - they heat your leg or whatever they are shining at, but little else!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Best heater for a small office
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »
As it has turned rather cold and my office has got no in-built heating, I wonder which is the best heating for a single room.  At the moment I use an oil heater - it is a bit slow at warming the room up, but once it is warm, it stays warm for much of the day.

Would we be better with a halogen heater or fan heater?  I've found the latter heats the air well, but leaves lots of really cold pockets of air (under desks, for example), and have always found halogen heaters a bit hopeless - they heat your leg or whatever they are shining at, but little else!

Whatever you do, steer clear of fan heaters - don't even consider them. In my past experience they warm a space quickly but they eat electricity and bankruptcy will be the result.

I have no experience of Halogen heaters so another IA member better jump in here quick and answer your question before you freeze to death.

PS There may be economic new models of fan heaters now on the market but, if so, I haven't found one.
« Last Edit: 15 December, 2017, 02:57:41 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Best heater for a small office
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
Okay, so we've moved house (again) and I now have a new office being built - but have the same issue.  I'm in the office most of the day  when the house is empty, so there's no point in putting central heating into the office

What would be my best option for heating economically?  To add to the mix below, IR heaters seem a cost-effective alternative.  Apparently, these heat the items in the room rather than radiating heat, and I have plenty of wall space.  Should I be considering IR heating?