!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Joseph wasnít even Jesusí father. So why does the Bible place so much impo....  (Read 890 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

...importance on paternity and genealogy?   Some friends and I were vaguely debating this earlier...namely, how the Bible seems to have a bit of an obsession with who begat whatshisname who begat ad nauseam who begat and so on...

But, big thing...considering that Jesus was a b*stard (because his dad wasn't Joseph his lawful dad) then why is the Bible so concerned with paternity and genealogy and all those who begat whoms?  Does it make any sense?  If it does, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Cuckoldry has always been a sore point with men . Perhaps this was an attempt to ease matters by using Joseph as an example of a man who took it well .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
The genealogy bit comes from the fact that Mary was a descendant of King David, thus her  son fulfilled the prophecy  that a saviour would be born of David's line.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
The genealogy bit comes from the fact that Mary was a descendant of King David, thus her son fulfilled the prophecy  that a saviour would be born of David's line.

I never thought of that, Jacques - but, while we are on this prophesy-fulfilment track...did the prophesy say anything about a female descendant of King David called Mary getting impregnated by God ever come into the prophesy ?
"I live in hope"

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
Not as far as I remember, and I can't even remember where in the O.T. the prophecy is. I feel it is important to work out in which order things happened, or were writ. There seems to have been a lot of fiddling with time and events to fit. The travel to Bethlehem was one in question, they didn't have a census in those days, and even if they had, surely it would be taken where people were resident ? No, they had to go to Bethlehem, to fulfill that prophecy.  Sorry PK. you touched a bit of a bee in my bonnet!!

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Not as far as I remember, and I can't even remember where in the O.T. the prophecy is. I feel it is important to work out in which order things happened, or were writ. There seems to have been a lot of fiddling with time and events to fit. The travel to Bethlehem was one in question, they didn't have a census in those days, and even if they had, surely it would be taken where people were resident ? No, they had to go to Bethlehem, to fulfill that prophecy.  Sorry PK. you touched a bit of a bee in my bonnet!!

Sorry about the bees in your bonnet, Jacques. I didn't mean to stir them up.

But, like you, I have often wondered about this Census thing in the Bible. I mean, why on earth did thousands of people have to trek back to the place they were born just to fill in in a bliddy census form? It's madness. Pure bureaucratic madness.

But that's Kings at the time of the Bible for you - Kings back then just didn't give a camel's f*rt about the ordinary people let alone worry about the effects of their royal dictats on the accommodation situation or hotel occupancy rates in Bethlehem. I'm very surprised that God didn't step in and use His omnipotence to try to find a decent vacant Travelodge room for the little infant Jesus' birth. It would have been the decent thing to do, even for an absentee father.
« Last Edit: 26 December, 2017, 11:59:47 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"