!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: A gardening question...about tulips and daffodils and their weird sex lives...  (Read 580 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Call me a cheapskate if you like but I've noticed that there is one very strange thing about tulips and daffodils.

Most flowers spread by producing seeds.  But not tulips and daffs.  They are different.  They only seem to spread by bulbs.

What would happen if instead of cutting back my tulips and daffs when they've finished flowering I just leave all the flower heads on? Would Nature then take its course?

Would my tulips and daffs go on to produce masses of seeds just as other flowers do?  And could I then plant out all those seeds and get masses of more flowers for free?

Or can tulips and daffs only multiply by me buying more and more bulbs?

Anybody any ideas?

"I live in hope"