Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Suitable pen for re-defining keyboard keys  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Duffield1

  • Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • *****
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Posts: 2506
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Suitable pen for re-defining keyboard keys
« on: 14 November, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
I have a black keyboard that I love and use an awful lot, but in using it so much, the letters have worn out so I now have 11 keys that are blank!  What pen could I use to remark the keys in a permanent way?

Offline siasl

  • Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • *****
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Posts: 5306
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Suitable pen for re-defining keyboard keys
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »

My wife's is suffering a similar fate, currently reasonably ok as only 5-6 keys are blank, and we're fairly decent touch typists :)

Offline P-Kasso2

  • Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • *
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Posts: 12325
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Suitable pen for re-defining keyboard keys
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2017, 09:56:40 AM »
Three thoughts Duff... Firstly, the best solution by far the best is this web site I just found lurking on the web...


It could be the answer you are looking for...It's a site that tells you exactly how to use your PC and a handy felt tip marker to restore the painted missing letters on your keyboard keys. It's a little bit fiddly but an average-brained chimpanzee could do it.

Second reasonably good thought... Maybe your original equipment keyboard manufacturer has a spare parts division for replacing lost keys?  And you could just order some replacements?   It might cost you as much as buying a whole new keyboard though. Or you could maybe find a second-hand  identical keyboard and cannibalise that? But you'd still have all the fuss of dismantling your existing keyboard.
Third and nowhere near a good thought...  Are the letters on your keyboard just printed on or are they 'etched in' and then filled in with white?  Is it just the 'white paint' of the letters that has bitten the dust? Or is the actual black plastic itself of the keys also worn down?

If the keys themselves are slightly worn, are any outline 'engraved' shapes of the letters still there? If so, you could try 're-enamelling' them - but I have no idea what kind of infill you'd use. All I know is that it is horrendously fiddly unless your surname is Faberge.

« Last Edit: 17 November, 2017, 09:58:30 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"