!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Parking fines  (Read 572 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Parking fines
« on: 03 November, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
Person with expensive car doesn't want it damaged in a car park, so parks across two neighbouring bays. Then they buy two pay and display tickets.

Parking warden comes along and fines them because their car is not within the lines.

Who should be in the right/wrong and why?

Note, this is a true story. The person contested the fine and lost

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Parking fines
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
I'd say that the car owner was within his rights - he'd bought a license to occupy two spaces when he bought the ticket.  However, I can understand how councils might object to that - as I doubt that most people who park across two spaces do similarly.

Interesting to see why the ticket was upheld.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
I'd say that the car owner was within his rights - he'd bought a license to occupy two spaces when he bought the ticket.  However, I can understand how councils might object to that - as I doubt that most people who park across two spaces do similarly.

Interesting to see why the ticket was upheld.*

*I'd say that the logic of the local council probably ran something like this...

If we make it legal for one car to occupy two parking spaces, then it will encourage others to do likewise...

Existing parking spaces are already inadequate to meet the demand for parking slots...

If more and more people occupy two parking spaces for one car, it will chop in half the number of vacant car spaces available...

So, motorists will be forced to park anywhere they can...usually illegally...

Increased illegal parking throughout the town will mean hiring more parking wardens...

The increased numbers of traffic wardens will all need increased facilities such as offices, lunch rooms, uniforms, toilets etc etc...

They will also need paying...£350 to £500 a week each?...

Council budgets are already woefully tight and being pressurised...libraries and crèches and care homes will have to be closed to pay the extra traffic wardens and increased infrastructure...

Motorists (now with half the number of available parking slots) will illegally park elsewhere in town...this will obviously increase the sheer number of parking tickets issued and clamping tow-aways ...

More of these will be appealed against...

Courts will become congested by cases of hordes of disgruntled motorists pleading for a repeal...

Yadda yadda yadda.

Best therefore to make hogging two parking spaces illegal - no matter whether the motorist has bought two parking permit or not...before total chaos breaks out in car parks, court rooms and traffic wardens offices and prisons start getting clogged up by nicked motorists who thought that buying two permits to double park one car was a good idea?
« Last Edit: 08 November, 2017, 11:21:10 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline moonzero2

• One of the original IQunion
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
  • Helpfulness: 16
  • Military intelligence is an oxymoron
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
Most parking enforcement is outsourced to private companies these days, so the accounting could be off.
Also most of the car parks I have used state that a ticked will be issued if the vehicle is not within a marked bay.

If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you.