!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Football match between the British and German troops during World War One....  (Read 451 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

It was a famous truce in No-Man's Land between the trenches on the Western Front on Christmas Eve 1914. It was a football match organised by the soldiers themselves. The authorities hated the idea of its soldiers fraternising with the enemy - and immediately banned it from ever happening again. But the really important thing is this...

What was the score? Who won?
  Does anybody know?

"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I think I just found the answer to my own question! I just was browsing a weird website called Skeptoid and there it was...the score between the English and Germans in the Christmas football match truce in No Man's Land at Christmas 1914.
Skeptoid (normally better known as the home for UFO freaks and jibbering fanatics) says this about the score - the match was...
"won by the Germans with a score of 3-2".
Skeptoid gives a short, very well thought out and very well written rationale of why it is perfectly feasible why a football match did take place during a festive pause in English and German troops shelling each other to oblivion. You can read it for yourself here...

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4498
"I live in hope"