!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Pronunciation of "Weinstein"  (Read 1155 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Pronunciation of "Weinstein"
« on: 19 October, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
I hear it a lot pronounced "wine-steen", yet the vowels are in the same pattern. Being of partly Germanic descent, I had originally been taught that with "ei" or "ie", you pronounce it as the terminating vowel, so "Weinstein" should be pronounced "Wine-stine". On the other hand, I seem to recall reading that the Jewish variant on that rule is that you pronounce the leading vowel, so it would be "Ween-steen".

Lastly, I know that folks are free to pronounce/spell their names as they see fit - I also seem to recall someone in a news item having a really weird name but insisting it was pronounced "Smith" (or something similar) - or it might have been the other way around.

This has been bugging me for at least a week

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Pronunciation of "Weinstein"
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
You are right, Siasl.   I did O Level German at school so ich bin ein bit of an ekspert about ei's and ie's. It was always banged into us that it is indeed the second vowel that determines how 'ei' and 'ie' are pronounced in German.

It's as easy as ein, zwei, drei. The 'ei' is pronounced 'eye' (as in Rogers and Hammerstein and ein, zwei, drei). Whereas 'ie' is pronounced 'ee' (as in Liebfraumilch and 'Ich liebe dich'). 

Shock horror! I've just watched BBC News at 6 - and Fiona Bruce just pronounced it Winesteen. That surprised me because I know from my time with the BBC that the Beeb has a whole department of advisors telling newscasters etc how to pronounce correctly the often weird and wonderful foreign names that crop up in world news - so I am sure the Wine-stine / Wine-steen issue will have been seriously discussed and guidelines duly issued to presenters.

But I still reckon that 'Weinstein' should be pronounced Wine-stine by everybody except press journalists of course who insist on pronouncing 'Weinstein' an incorrigible sexual predator.
« Last Edit: 21 October, 2017, 11:49:23 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »
You are right, Siasl.   I did O Level German at school so ich bin ein bit of an ekspert about ei's and ie's. It was always banged into us that it is indeed the second vowel that determines how 'ei' and 'ie' are pronounced in German.

It's as easy as ein, zwei, drei. The 'ei' is pronounced 'eye' (as in Rogers and Hammerstein and ein, zwei, drei). Whereas 'ie' is pronounced 'ee' (as in Liebfraumilch and 'Ich liebe dich'). 

Shock horror! I've just watched BBC News at 6 - and Fiona Bruce just pronounced it Winesteen. That surprised me because I know from my time with the BBC that the Beeb has a whole department of advisors telling newscasters etc how to pronounce correctly the often weird and wonderful foreign names that crop up in world news - so I am sure the Wine-stine / Wine-steen issue will have been seriously discussed and guideline duly issued to presenters

But I still reckon that 'Weinstein' should be pronounced Wine-stine by everybody except press journalists of course who insist on pronouncing 'Weinstein' an incorrigible sexual predator.

It may be that your knowledge of German isn't helping you with the pronunciation of Yiddish especially American Yiddish names like Seinfeld for example . 

To help you might like to consider this song title which in German would be Bei mir bist du Schön but in Yiddish is Bei mir bist du schejn .

https://youtu.be/Xe2UXccid40

German may help with understanding the original Yiddish version of the song

https://youtu.be/ZUVEq6NC7mM
« Last Edit: 19 October, 2017, 08:17:25 PM by Cosmos »
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2017, 07:09:08 AM »
...and, oh the irony, that we should get posted versions of the song that have half-dressed women in the 'videos' on a thread about yet another alleged rapist.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »

Weinstein - Einstein?  Weinstein may not be an Einstein but they are pronounced the same. People have no problem pronouncing Einstein so pronouncing Weinstein should be a doddle. I can't see what the problem is.
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:04:28 PM »

People have no problem pronouncing Einstein so pronouncing Weinstein should be a doddle. I can't see what the problem is.

Unfortunately Einstein isn't pronounced correctly either . Most English-speaking people pronounce it Ine-stine but it should Ine-shtine .
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »

People have no problem pronouncing Einstein so pronouncing Weinstein should be a doddle. I can't see what the problem is.

Unfortunately Einstein isn't pronounced correctly either . Most English-speaking people pronounce it Ine-stine but it should Ine-shtine .

Sodoes that mean it should be 'Wein-shtine'?  Methinks, Wein-swine might be more appropriate.
"I live in hope"