!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Does anybody know the story behind this dreadful picture?  (Read 514 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Does anybody know the story behind this dreadful picture?
« on: 15 October, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
I am sorry but, try as I have, the photo just won't let itself be copied over into IA so you'll have to click on this link below to see it yourself... You might want to have a quick read of the rest of this question before you click on the link. It is up to you ...

http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/image/166424351626

As war pictures go, this photograph has to be one of the most callous war photos ever. To my mind, it is right up there with pictures from Belsen or Dachau. We rightly hear a lot about the Holocaust but of this extreme example of Man's inhumanity to Man we hear nothing.

I found it while digging through the archives of a site called Historical Times. The only clue they gave was a caption saying that it is...

"Personnel of the infamous Unit 731 infecting a Chinese civilian with the Bubonic Plaque in Harbin, Manchuria 1940."

Deliberately infecting civilians with the Bubonic Plague! That is bad enough but to see it being deliberately done to someone on a personal one-to-one basis somehow makes it even more shocking to me.

And yet, keen student of the past as I am, I have never ever heard of this dreadful event. It begs several questions...

Can anybody on IA give any more info on this awful event?

How long did it go on for?

What were the statistics? How many were killed in this way?

Were there (and are there still) on-going effects of the Plague on the general population?

Who were the "infamous Unit 731"? Was anybody ever brought to trial for what is obviously a serious war crime of the most heinous nature?

And why has the world never been told about this atrocity?

Over to you.

« Last Edit: 15 October, 2017, 01:37:41 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Hairball

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Re: Does anybody know the story behind this dreadful picture?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Unit 731 was a chemical/biological warfare research facility where the Japanese conducted human experiments.