!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Calling all cat lovers! Am I poisoning my cat?  (Read 816 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Calling all cat lovers! Am I poisoning my cat?
« on: 14 October, 2017, 12:25:06 PM »

Is it true that milk and raw fish are bad for cats?
I've just read that cats can't tolerate raw fish...and that they are allergic to milk!

Try telling that to my cat! The way he wolfs down fish makes me think that he's a closet Catholic cat - he knows exactly when it's Friday and that Fridays mean Fishy Fridays. On Fridays he spookily takes up his position in front of the fridge door trying to levitate a haddock fillet or a couple of scallops out of the fridge. If that doesn't work he wraps himself round our legs. He mews like a starving baby. He goes boggle-eyed, he collapses on the kitchen floor, he groans, he moans, he pleads and he tries every trick in his copy of The Cats' Book of 100 Ways to wangle Treats out of Dumb Humans.

Yesterday for example (being a Friday) he went absolutely doolally over a bowl of tiger prawns. (My tiger prawns!) True, he has got some healthy habits too - he likes drinking rain water (only if it's from a dirty puddle). And he has recently been demanding semi-skimmed milk with his bliddy cod fillets. Nothing else will do.
So.. Is fish really bad for cats? And milk? Last time I looked, cats gleefully eat flocks of pigeons and blue t*ts with no after-effects. And traditionally cats have always got the cream... but that was until our PC society started saying that they're both wrong for cats' and their poor little sensitive tummy wummies.   

I mean, cat food manufacturers serve up grotty combinations of bits of animals in jelly and nobody gives a hoot. Soon I expect cat food makers will start marketing Mice in Gravy!  Chaffinch Chunks!  Sparrows in Jelly!

Who is right? My cat? Or all those self-appointed guardians of my cat's intestines?
"I live in hope"

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
Re: Calling all cat lovers! Am I poisoning my cat?
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
Cats are lactose intolerant, so an alternative to cow milk would be good. The worry about fish is the mercury content, which means you are possibly poisoning yourself as well as your cat. Personally I can't help seeing this as just another health scare which I ignore as a matter of principle. There are so many things that will poison our pets, hard to keep up with it all.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »
Cats are lactose intolerant, so an alternative to cow milk would be good. The worry about fish is the mercury content, which means you are possibly poisoning yourself as well as your cat. Personally I can't help seeing this as just another health scare which I ignore as a matter of principle. There are so many things that will poison our pets, hard to keep up with it all.

Thanks Doc! That was news to me. I didn't know that cats are lactose intolerant, Jacques - but I might try milk substitutes although I dunno if my picky cat will take to bowls of soya milk, almond milk or coconut milk etc. But I'll try. I don't hold out much hope though because our ginger feline hanger-on doesn't even seem to fancy ordinary milk milk much either - he'd far rather tuck in to rainwater out of a puddle any day.

And as for fish and mercury poisoning!
Phew! Luckily we only have fish on Fridays because Ms P-K is a lapsed Catholic - a very lapsed Catholic - but she still eats fish on Fridays  just in case there just might be something in the tradition of eating fish on Fridays like a good Catholic that'll give her some handy brownie points or an automatic privilege pass when she hoves up to those pearly gates.

About fish...When I lived in Norway I ate trawler-loads of fish like most Norwegians do and (mountains of mercury in it or not) I am absolutely fine, twitch twitch. All I know is that I have never once seen a single Norsky with any fish-related ailments. Quite the reverse in fact, they all seem disgustingly hale and hearty.

So, as my cat is a wise old gent of a cat who's already clocked up 18 years of age I presume he already knows what's good for him and what's not. I don't think he gives a damn about all these various trendy food scares - nor do I. And, seeing as I have lived through generations of doctors and health experts all saying Butter-is-bad-for-you and then saying Oh-sorry-no-it's-not really-so-keep-having-some-on-your-sarnies (and others pundits saying that red wine is suddenly toxic and then somersaulting and saying Oops sorry, red wine is actually good for yer cardio-vascular system yadda yadda yyadda) I think I'll just carry on regardless.

Jacques, my reasoning is that there must be a reason why cats have all those nine lives, right? So me giving my furry friend a portion of Fish a la Mercury once in a while shouldn't be too bad. Should it?
"I live in hope"

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
 Gd_pst