!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How old are the craters on the Moon?  (Read 521 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
How old are the craters on the Moon?
« on: 20 September, 2017, 02:15:18 AM »

Ever since I was a kid I have wondered why the Moon is absolutely peppered with craters while the Earth is not. (I still don't know why that is so if anybody can tell me I am all ears.)

When I was about 10 or so and mad about dinosaurs and planets I decided that is was because the Moon must have been formed when craters flying about was practically an everyday occurrence - and that therefore asteroids and meteors probably ceased before the Earth was born. Hence, no craters pockmarking the face of the Earth. QED kiddo.

Well, it sort of made sense to me back then but not quite so much now. Now I presume that the Moon's craters span millions of years rather than all having arrived on one fine prehistoric summer's day.

However, that still leaves one big question I need to know - and that is this : How old are the craters on the Moon? Can you help fill in the blank for me?

"I live in hope"