!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why doesn't my ad blocker block the bliddy ads on my Facebook page?  (Read 618 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

It's really driving me spare!
Oh yes, Facebook lets you click to stop seeing any more posts from someone you're cheesed off with - but there's nowhere on FB to click on to stop seeing any more *@!#ing ads from the advertisers. So I am totally fed up with my FB page getting littered with ads - no matter how finely tuned they are to my interests.

I use ABP ad blocker and it works perfectly stopping ads on everything else. Why doesn't my ad blocker block the ads on my Facebook page?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Why doesn't my ad blocker block the bliddy ads on my Facebook page?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
Facebook and the ad-blockers are in a war of attrition. Adblockers started by blocking domains, such as doubleclick, from being the source of stuff on a page. Then the web pages, eg facebook, started hosting them themselves - usually from a specific sub-domain within their domain. This then got added to the blocklist. So FB & co grabbed the ads via javascript code, ad-blockers responded by examining such code a bit, etc.....

The ad-blockers are playing whack-a-mole, and FB & co are trying to make it harder and harder to block their ads.

Ads are the life-blood of Facebook - the users are the product. Don't expect the situation to change. Last time I tried to erase all ads from FB it became completely unusable. But then all I use it for is to stalk other people :)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »
 trhr Thanks Siasl for the glum news. So, it looks like I'll just have to grit my teeth and bear it where FB's unwanted but unavoidable ads are concerned.
What really narks me most is that these ads are what FB smarmily calls 'Announcements I'd like to see'! Or words to that effect.
If only FB knew how close I come to leaping on the train to Kings Cross and legging it round to Facebook's shiny new Brock Street HQ with a flamethrower...
"I live in hope"

Offline moonzero2

• One of the original IQunion
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
  • Helpfulness: 16
  • Military intelligence is an oxymoron
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
trhr Thanks Siasl for the glum news. So, it looks like I'll just have to grit my teeth and bear it where FB's unwanted but unavoidable ads are concerned.
What really narks me most is that these ads are what FB smarmily calls 'Announcements I'd like to see'! Or words to that effect.
If only FB knew how close I come to leaping on the train to Kings Cross and legging it round to Facebook's shiny new Brock Street HQ with a flamethrower...

Flamethrower? way too tame, get a couple of military friends to run through the ground floor in some tanks.
BTW I accidentally hit the report button when moving my mouse, Sorry, the buttons are a bit more sensitive than i am used to.
If any mods are on please ignore that one.
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you.